Location, hospitality,cuisine....all outstanding.A jewel of a place, hard to reach, but worth the hours long jarring car ride . You will be greeted by the staff singing a traditional welcome song. Host Mark is the "mostest"!!
Gangtey Goenpa Lodge
Some Key Facts:
- High in the eastern Himalayas, it is difficult to find a more isolated hotel than the Gangtey Goenpa Lodge. The lodge provides beautiful views of the Gangtey Valley and is surrounded by natural, hilly terrain, teeming with wildlife.
- Just 12 spacious rooms are available at the lodge, ensuring a genuine mountain retreat experience for guests. Each room is equipped with a fireplace and designed by internationally renowned designer, Mary Lou Thomson.
- There is a full service restaurant serving a mixture of Western, Asian and traditional Bhutanese cuisine. Meals are served in a dining room with floor-to-ceiling windows, giving diners spectacular views of the valley as they eat.
- The Lodge acts as a jumping-off point for air balloon tours which can last the entire day, taking guests over the expansive forests of Bhutan and providing breathe-taking views of the mountains. In room massages are also available.
Newly opened Gangtey Goenpa Lodge is nestled in a hidden valley near an imposing 17th-century monastery, in the ancient and mystical Kingdom of Bhutan, in the eastern Himalayas. The design of this luxury boutique lodge is inspired by traditional wood and stone Bhutanese farmhouses and it offers spectacular views of the breathtaking scenery. Heated stone floors, wooden beams, exposed brick walls, rich fabrics and a colour palette of warm, earthy tones feature throughout. It is a six-hour drive from the nearest airport at Paro.
Offering impeccable service, superb attention to detail and warm hospitality, Gangtey Lodge will appeal to adventurous couples seeking an intimate and remote escape in an enchanting setting.
This charming rural retreat provides 12 elegantly appointed and spacious suites with plush furnishings, freestanding baths and wood burning stoves. Walls are adorned with local art and carvings.
The restaurant features a delicious menu of Western, Asian and Bhutanese dishes, which are served on long, communal tables.
Go mountain biking or hiking, visit Gangtey monastery or experience the breathtaking scenery in a hot-air balloon – Gangtey Goenpa Lodge is the first to offer this experience in Bhutan. Back at the lodge, be pampered with a massage in the privacy of your room or relax with a glass of wine in front of a roaring fire.
- ➡ 12 Guest Suites
- ➡ First class room amenities
- Things to do, ways to relax
➡ - Fitness center
➡ - Sauna
➡ - Spa
➡ - Steam room
➡ - Massage(s)
- Dining, drinking, and snacking
➡ - Restaurant(s)
➡ - Bar
➡ - Café shop
- Services and Conveniences
➡ - Luggage storage
➡ - Newspapers
➡ - Laundry service
➡ - Dry cleaning
➡ - Safety deposit boxes
➡ - Currency exchange
➡ - Shop(s)
➡ - Smoking area
- For the kids
➡ - Babysitting service
➡ - Family room
➡ - Elevator
– “Truly a 5 star property "in the middle of nowhere"!”
My husband and I stayed at Gangtey Lodge for 2 nights in end January. It was a bumpy 3-hour ride from Punakha to Phobjikha Valley but the moment we arrived at the lodge, the warm welcome of the hotel staff and the luxurious feel of the hotel banished the exhaustion from the grueling drive to the valley. Mark, the hotel manager, joined the staff in welcoming us which certainly added a personal touch and made us feel special. The balcony had a sweeping view of the valley where one feels in harmony with nature. The rooms are fabulous, spacious and luxurious. They had a lovely small spa facility where one can experience the hot stone bath and a relaxing massage which was perfect for us after the half day Gangtey nature trail. The food menu offered a variety of choices from Western to local. Service was superb - the staff was very helpful and attentive, anticipating our needs from lighting the wooden fireplace in the room, offering warm neck pillows while lounging at the balcony and cleaning our shoes after our hike. It was a truly memorable vacation at Gangtey and we hope we had a longer stay. We look forward to coming back.
– “The epitome of a 5-star hotel”
From the minute you enter through the door you are transported into heaven ,with a welcome song along with a complimentary 5 minute neck massage... the rooms are beautiful, the staff could not be more delightful and the manager was always around to make sure you were being taken care of at all tim
– “Stunning property”
One of the best lodges to stay in , the rooms are fantastic , the views incredible , the manager and his team soo nice worth staying there , 2 days was too short , all the small details make this hotel incredible
First, let me state that this is the best hotel/lodge that we have ever stayed in. We were welcomed by the Manager at the door then ushered in to the beautiful main lodge where the staff had assembled to sing us a welcome song. This place is an absolute treat and deserves as many stars as possible. The rooms a spacious with magnificent valley views - we could see the rare Black-necked Cranes from our room. Our room was nice and warm (-5 degs outside) with under floor heating and an enclosed open fire. The meals here are amazing and the chef is not only a lovely person, but also super skilled. We stayed for 3 nights, which I would suggest is the minimum with 4 to 5 being probably optimal. Make use of the Lodge's numerous service as the spa is great, archery and darts lessons are fun and the staff are super friendly and helpful.