Bhutan Cycling and Hike Tour
This "Bhutan Cycling and Hike Tour" starts in Phuntsholing and makes its way through the diverse landscapes that are culturally and historically significant towns of Bhutan. The goal is to celebrate the land of happiness; share real world experiences, where you will interact with the locals, understand their way of life and relish the local cuisines. The terrain in Bhutan is quite hilly and the altitude ranges between 1500 mtrs to 3810 mtrs. Distances peddled daily will range between 40 to 80 kilometers (25 to 50 miles) the difficulty level will vary from being easy, manageable and challenging along the journey.
HIGHLIGHTS & INCLUDE
- Explore Bhutan’s central valleys, rich with ancient historical and sacred Buddhist sites.
- Journey to the rugged, remote and seldom visited Eastern Districts.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Visit ancient palaces and museums featuring historical memorabilia of Bhutan’s Royal Family.
- Experience Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
Arrive in Phuntsholing through the intricately crafted Bhutan Gate. Post completing the paper-work / formalities we drive straight to the hotel & check in. Overnight in Phuentsholing.
Recommended Hotels in Phuentsholing:
- Druk Phuentsholing Hotel
- Royal Orchid Hotel
We drive from Phuentsholing to Thimpu (170 kms / 6 hours) stopping along the scenic route for pictures. At Thimpu, we pick up our bikes (cycles); fine-tune for best fit. We will drive to Kuensel Phodrang (Buddha Point) – one of the largest Buddha statues in the world.
Drive from Phuentsholing to Thimphu, visit Kuensel Phodrang (Buddha Point)
Recommended Hotels in Thimphu:
- Namgay Heritage Hotel
- Gyelsa Boutique Inn
Today we begin our Bike trail through Bhutan with a ride up towards Dochu la Pass and onwards to Punakha. The distance is 23 Km to the top of the pass, trailing past balmy lush landscapes toward Punakha. Post lunch on top of the pass we will mount our bikes and drive down to Punakha. Once in Punakha, we will check into the homestay, evening at leisure to rest up.
Riding to Punakha through Dochu La pass
Recommended Punakha Hotels:
- Vara Hotel Punakha
- Meri Puensum Resort
Post breakfast we will ride to Chimi Lhakhang - the “Divine Mad Man’s Monastery”. This monastery is never short of stories and our tour leader will fill you in on this unique man and his beliefs. The trail around Punakha is has views of the lush green valleys and the gorgeous Mo Chu and Po Chu, we will be visiting the Punakha Dzong and stop by for a scenic picnic lunch by the riverside. Overnight in Punakha.
Chimi Lhakhang, Punakha Dzong
Today we drive to Gangtey along the Phobjikha valley, the drive distance is approximately 70kms depending on the roads it will take us about 3 hours. Phobjikha is a bowl shaped glacial valley on the western slopes of the black mountains bordering the Jigme Singye Wangchuk National park which is famous for its winter visitor of Black necked cranes. These hills are also home to leopards and red foxes. Post lunch we will hike up to the surreal views of the valleys. Overnight at a monastic homestay, a surreal experience sitting by the fire, tasting some local cuisine and enjoying the hospitality and conversations with the local hosts.
Cycling to Phobjikha valley today
Recommended Wangdue Phodrang Hotels:
- Dewachen Gangtey Hotel
- Kichu Resort Wangdue
After breakfast we will drive towards Thimpu a total of 150kms, it may take upto 6 hrs. Post checking in to the Hotel we will head out for an authentic Bhutanese meal. Perhaps a visit to the handmade paper unit or go see the Takin (Bhutan’s national animal) and shop the high streets of Thimpu for memorabilia. In the evening, we’ll all grab a beer or visit the local karaoke club and sing to some Bhutanese tunes. Bhutan is safe for travellers both men and women, sit back and enjoy their way of “modern” lifestyle. Overnight in Thimphu.
Drive back to Thimphu, visit Motithang Takin zoo
Post a hearty breakfast we will ride out to Paro, the road to Paro is 65 kms and you will often meet fellow local cyclists trailing this route. Take the time to interact and perhaps gain an insight into the local cycling scene. Your trail has perfect tarmac roads with views of the valley on either sides. Rolling terrain and fairly easy. Check in and Lunch is at the hotel. Post lunch we can head out to try our hand at archery or visit the Paro Dzong.
Recommended Hotels in Paro:
- Metta Resort & Spa
- Bhutan Mandala Resort
Today we will ride to Chele La pass, the highest motor able pass in Bhutan. A climb of 32 kms, we start early post a light breakfast and ride through surreal, lush green canopies all the way to Chele La. As you ride, look for the roadside drub Chuu (natural spring) with a rock painting of Guru Rinpoche and his two wives. As you reach the top join the Bhutanese in a hearty cry of “lha-gey lu!” (May the Gods be Victorious!) sign at the elevation of 3819m on top of Chele la. Lunch at the top of the pass with the views of the grand mountains, enjoy the rewards of your climb with a downhill ride down the same trail and back to Paro. A dance of celebration with the Mask dancers at your hotel in the evening.
Riding to Chele La pass
Post an early breakfast, we drive to the base of Taktshang (Tigers nest), the hike up to the Taktshang Monastery greets you with surreal views of the mountains. The hike should take approximately 3 hours. Your guide will walk with you filling in on stories of Padmasambhava and his flying tigress. Lunch is at a restaurant in Paro town & we drive toward Phuntosholing. Overnight in Phuntsholing.
Being transferred to the airport to catch our flight back home. We bid goodbye to the land of Happiness and take home with us memories, stories and the joy of travel with like-minded fellow travellers.
WHEN TO GO?
MORE TOURS HERE
- Prices are in USD, per person, based on two people traveling together and sharing a room. At Bhutan Senses Travel, we carefully select all hotels to ensure that your accommodations match our standards of trip and service excellence.
- Prices include the following:
. All hotel accommodation including all taxes and breakfast
. Internal economy flights as stated with airport taxes
. All transfers & sightseeing transportation in private vehicle
. Private services of local guides
. All special events & private tours, guest experts
. All entrance fees into historical sights & museums
. Drinking water and refreshing towels for touring
. 24/7 support from the Bhutan Senses Travel Team
View hotels list
- One of the oldest and best hotel in town which was earlier under management of Welcome group, it has convenient location and provides pleasant stay.
- All 35 rooms of the hotel have attached bath with running hot & cold water, wall-to-wall carpet.
- The other facilities here include ; restaurant serving Continental, Chinese, Indian and Bhutanese cuisine, bar with the selection of international and Bhutanese beverages, IDD telephone, shopping, laundry, money exchange, conference room, A.C in few rooms.
View hotels list
- Offering a restaurant, Namgay Heritage Hotel is located in Thimphu. Free WiFi access is available in the public areas of the property.
- Each room here will provide you with a seating area. Featuring a shower, private bathroom also comes with free toiletries and slippers. You can enjoy mountain view and city view from the room.
- At Namgay Heritage Hotel you will find a 24-hour front desk. An array of activities can be enjoyed on site or in the surroundings, including skiing and cycling. The property offers free parking.
- The Dochula pass is 10 km and the Thimphu Chorten is 12 km. The Paro Airport is 48 km.
View hotels list
- Located in the valley of Lobesa overlooking the blossoming and verdant valley with panoramic elongate between Punakha and Wangdue. This three star hotel started operation in early 2014 and is one of the best three star hotel in Punakha and Wangdue area.
- Vara Hotel allows travelers to explore the wonders of valleys and offers the spectacular view of mountains landscape and oasis of tranquility and peacefulness. Enjoy your stay in one of its lovely big rooms, cozy restaurant and an upstairs bar.
- The hotel offers 18 Deluxe Rooms and 1 Suite. Free WiFi (public areas).
View hotels list
- Dewachen Gangtey Hotel features sixteen double rooms with modern bathroom fittings, comfortable bedding. The restaurant is cozy with magnificent views and the meals prepared by a professional chef are delicious. The Luxury hotel or lodge is located in the pine forest with beautiful view of the valley and the surrounding mountains.
- There is no electricity in the valley. The hotel has its own generator supplying electricity for two hours in the evening and two hours in the morning. It is then turned off after the dinner time. The rooms are heated by individual wooden stove (Bukhari). When the generator is not in use, a dim solar powered light or candles are used. At night, during the colder months, guests are provided with hot water bag. For hot shower, you have to ask for hot water in the bucket.
View hotels list
- Metta Resort and Spa offers accommodation in Paro. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Free private parking is available on site.
- All rooms come with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels. Some units include a seating area where you can relax. Every room includes a private bathroom fitted with a shower. Extras include bathrobes and slippers. Metta Resort and Spa features free WiFi .
- There is a 24-hour front desk at the property.
- The resort also offers car hire. The nearest airport is Paro Airport, 5 km from the property.